Saturday, August 20, 2011

NYC Robert: Does who I met today fit the definition of a stranger

This post is for 8/19/11


It's been about four years or more since I've had a conversation with this person, and we've known each other since we were eight years old. Back then we hung out all the time, played basketball, rode bikes, and just kicked it. Today, saying "hello" would seem like I was talking to a stranger. I hadn't really thought of it because when I'd see him I'd wave, but casually. We also never really spoke much in the later years of high school. Honestly, I felt that we grew and turned in different path's. He had his friends, and I had mine. You could also say he was a lot more popular than I was, which meant that he carried with him a group of people I wasn't too fond of. Ironically though a lot of people he was friends with didn't have the same smarts as him. He always wanted to be a business man. I remember when we were kids that's all he would speak of. And although he was a gifted basketball player, making it to the league wasn't his dream.


Today I was driving down the road as I always do, and I guess he said to himself "enough is enough." He runs out into the road and stops me. I was very shocked! He begins going hysterical at my disrespectful behavior because I never say hello. As we began to talk, I noticed that he was very frustrated that I never stopped to have a conversation with him. As I mentioned before we hadn't spoken in long time. Clearly though their was a lot of things we could have discussed. He asked me many question mainly on what I'm doing in life now and what I want to do later.


For those of you who don't know I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's of science in physical education. It wasn't my first choice, and if I discuss my other majors it will take a while. But I chose it because working with kids is a lot of fun and it brings me joy. The second reason is that I could also be a personal trainer. Just killed two birds with one stone. The only sad part is that since I've changed my major so much and none of them were tied together, I still have two years left of school. After that though I want to get a Doctorate in Dietetics. If you ever have a conversation with me on healthy eating and general health you'll discover that to be my true passion, and gift.


Now back to my conversation with this old friend. I then asked him what's going on in his life. He told me he just got a job on Wall St., and it wasn't easy. It took him lots of trips to city, and money he didn't have. From the way he described it it's almost like he would go to various interviews and stand in front of businesses all day until he got his shot, almost like the movie with Chris Gardener played by Will Smith in "The Pursuit of Happiness." Well someone once said getting a job is a job itself. But its good his hard work paid off. Our conversation got interrupted by a family member of his needing a ride somewhere. And I was also heading out. I hope my acts of being a stranger to him, and others will part.




Well my fellow brothers and sisters until next time

One love.

1 comment:

  1. you should def. remain friends w/ this old friend of yours... never know when you need to network

    ReplyDelete